LOUISVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - A Louisville hospital is joining the growing list of lawsuits filed over the opioid epidemic.
Winston Medical Center has sued manufacturers and distributors of the drugs in federal court.
The hospital claims the defendants misled medical professionals about the risks, benefits and superiority of opioids in the treatment of chronic pain.
Among those claims, they say, is materials stating addiction to the drugs was rare.
The lawsuit says manufacturers and distributors worked together and committed common law fraud by deceiving medical providers about opioids.
The hospital is asking for monetary damages.
- Winston Medical Center suing over opioids
- North Mississippi Medical Center closings
- OCH Regional Medical Center affiliating with UMMC
- Winston County Medical Foundation receives Certificate of Need for MRI services
- Prentiss County joins list suing over opioid epidemic
- North Mississippi Medical Center restricts visitation due to flu
- Body recovered following Winston County fire
- Power outage scheduled in Winston County
- UPDATE: Man wanted in Winston County burglary
- Authorities investigate possible homicide in Winston County