TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) – Lee County investigators are trying to get a shooting victim to release more information following a Tuesday shooting.
On Tuesday, a dark-colored Chevrolet Impala was traveling on Highway 245 near Shannon when the vehicle veered into the southbound lane of traffic and into the path of an off-duty Lee County deputy.
The deputy pulled over on the shoulder of the road. That’s when the driver of the Impala got out of the car and approached the off-duty deputy and shouted, “I’ve been shot.”
The victim asked the deputy to take him to the hospital. The deputy saw a belt tied around the victim’s leg and blood near the area
The deputy notified 911 of the situation and put the victim in his personal vehicle and took him to North Mississippi Medical Center where the victim underwent surgery.
According to the Lee County Sheriff’s Department, the victim’s vehicle appeared to have been shot.
The investigation revealed the shooting took place at or near the intersection of County Road 154 and County Road 379.
According to the information gathered, the victim was in his vehicle and met another vehicle that contained the shooter. The shooter got into the vehicle with the victim and during that time, a confrontation took place where the victim was shot.
“There is information that the victim owed money to an individual and the shooter was collecting the debt,” the sheriff’s department stated.
Investigators have reached out to the victim several times and have been unable to make contact to obtain more information needed.
“The Lee County Sheriff’s Department records indicate the victim has been incarcerated 16 different occasions for various misdemeanor offenses,” the sheriff’s department stated.
The investigation into the case is ongoing, but officials say the status of the case will depend upon the cooperation of the victim.
- UPDATE: Lee County investigators seek information from shooting victim
- UPDATE: Arrest made for Lee County shooting
- UPDATE: Lee County road reopens
- Mother seeks justice for son, shooting victim
- UPDATE: Missing Lee County woman found safe
- UPDATE: Missing Lee County woman found
- UPDATE: Columbus police investigate shooting
- UPDATE: Shooting victim ID'd following Pontotoc County wreck
- UPDATE: Victim identified in fatal Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Okolona shooting victim listed as stable