NEW ALBANY, Miss. (WTVA) - A mother and her boyfriend face child abuse charges in New Albany.
According to the New Albany Police Department, Megan Craighead, 28, and Zack Burnett, 21, were arrested Monday.
Investigator Mark Cossitt says an 18-month-old boy is in the custody of his relatives Tuesday afternoon.
Cossitt says the case began to unfold after the two took the boy to the doctor's office two weeks ago.
The doctor's office notified law enforcement and the state after seeing bruises on the child's buttocks and groin area.
Cossitt says the grandparents then took the child to Le Bonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis to be examined.
He says the Memphis-based hospital concluded the injuries were caused by blunt force trauma. He also says Burnett admitted to whipping the child in a bathtub one night.
The case is ongoing.
- Two charged with child abuse in New Albany
- Oxford man charged with felony child abuse
- Couple charged with child abuse in Prentiss County
- New Orleans man charged with child abuse in Oktibbeha County
- Felony child abuse suspect arrested again on burglary charge
- Lee County duo charged with child abuse in Prentiss County
- UPDATE: Bond set for GA woman with child abuse charges
- Child abuse arrest made in Lowndes County
- UPDATE: Man charged for New Albany tractor theft
- UPDATE: Georgia woman faces child abuse, sexual battery charges in Lee County