TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - A Tupelo man is accused of stealing a SUV with an infant inside.
Neighbors who know the suspect are speaking out.
Tommy Jenkins, 32, is accused of stealing another person's SUV. Inside the vehicle was a five-month-old girl. Police say the girl was secured in a car seat.
"He always waves at us, he knows us, we know him," said Mariana Herrera. "It's just scary that he did that."
The incident happened on Friday, July 13 sometime near 10:45 p.m.
Officers were dispatched to the 2300 block of Torrey Street for a reported kidnapping.
"We have young kids over here, this could have happened to any of us," said Herrera.
Police located the SUV parked at the Starbucks on West Main Street.
Police say Jenkins fled the scene on foot but was immediately captured.
The infant was located safe in the vehicle and returned to a parent.
Now, mothers like Herrera are being more cautious.
"We're going to try and have everything that I need in the car and try not to leave my kids in the car," the neighbor said.
Jenkins was charged with kidnapping and grand larceny.
His bond was set at $260,000.
- UPDATE: Neighbors speak on suspect accused of stealing SUV with baby inside
- Handcuffed man steals police SUV in Hamilton, AL
- Woman accused of stealing dog
- Smithville man accused of stealing tools
- Men accused of stealing in Columbus
- Mississippi man accused of stealing school security funds
- Five arrested in Monroe County accused of stealing asphalt
- Men accused of stealing from Tishomingo County boats
- Couple accused of stealing from man while he slept
- Ripley man accused of stealing ATV in Prentiss County