Photo Gallery 3 Images
Editor's Note: This article has been modified since its publication.
MONROE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - One person is dead after a collision on Highway 45 Alternate in Monroe County near the Lee County line.
According to Master Sgt. Criss Turnipseed with the Mississippi Highway Patrol, the collision happened Monday morning sometime near 8:40.
This is near Pine Grove Road south of Shannon.
Troopers say the collision involved a car and a farm tractor.
Turnipseed says the car was traveling south on the highway when it rear ended a southbound farm tractor. The car then caught fire.
He says the driver of the car was pronounced dead at the scene by Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley. The driver was the only person in the vehicle.
The driver of the tractor was taken to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo with moderate injuries.
MHP is investigating the collision.
Later Monday, MHP released the names of those involved in the crash.
Troopers identify the deceased as 26-year-old Jamal Finnie of Okolona.
Troopers identify the driver of the tractor as 64-year-old Paul Sisk of Shannon. He is listed in stable condition at NMMC in Tupelo.
- UPDATE: MHP identifies victim of fatal Monroe County crash
- UPDATE: Victim identified in fatal Columbus shooting
- MHP releases more information on fatal Chickasaw County crash
- UPDATE: Victims identified in Lowndes County fatal accident
- MHP begins campaign to reduce fatalities
- UPDATE: Victim ID from fatal Pontotoc County crash
- Mississippi Highway Patrol identifies victim of fatal crash
- Fatal accident in Monroe County kills two
- UPDATE: Troopers ID one victim from Monroe County collision
- UPDATE: Pedestrian identified following fatal collision