SEVERE WX: Severe Thunderstorm Watch - Severe Thunderstorm Warning View Alerts
STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

More MUW students treated for carbon monoxide exposure

A total of 41 students were evaluated following a carbon monoxide leak on MUW's campus.

Posted: Nov. 29, 2017 12:53 PM
Updated: Nov. 30, 2017 8:23 PM

COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) – Crews are continuing to determine the root cause of a carbon monoxide leak inside a residence hall at Mississippi University for Women (MUW).

The university says it appears to be an apparent boiler misfire. Forty one students have been evaluated at a hospital following the leak at Kincannon Hall. All students were later released.

The students from Kincannon Hall stayed off campus Tuesday night and will stay at a hotel again Wednesday night. They are being shuttled to campus.

There are three boilers like the one in Kincannon Hall on the school’s campus. All are being looked at.

MUW President Dr. Jim Borsig says the residence halls have fire alarms and sprinkler systems, but the university is now in the process of installing carbon monoxide detectors inside three buildings. The installation should be complete by Wednesday night. 

“Yesterday was about being focused on the students, today we’re back focused on the buildings and next will come the evaluation of what happened and what we can improve on," Borsig said.

Students are expected to return to Kincannon Hall Thursday.

Article Comments

Tupelo
Clear
87° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 72°
Feels Like: 93°
Columbus
Clear
88° wxIcon
Hi: 89° Lo: 73°
Feels Like: 96°
Oxford
Overcast
79° wxIcon
Hi: 85° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 82°
Starkville
Clear
86° wxIcon
Hi: 89° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 92°
WTVA Radar
WTVA Temperatures
WTVA Severe Weather