JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - The following statement was released by the Mississippi State Department of Health to WTVA.
"Northwest Mississippi Community College is cooperating with the Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) in the investigation of a case of active tuberculosis (TB) confirmed in a student attending the Lafayette Yalobusha Technical Center in Oxford.
This week, the MSDH informed the College that a limited number of individuals, less than 50, will be tested for possible exposure. The Health Department is reaching out to those individuals to arrange testing.
Exposure to active TB disease can result in TB infection. This occurs only with close and prolonged exposure to the individual. TB infection is not contagious and can be treated.
We will continue to work closely with Northwest Community College to ensure the safety and welfare of the students and faculty."
- State health officials investigate another tuberculosis case
- Case of tuberculosis confirmed at Troy University
- UPDATE: Students react to active tuberculosis case at Ole Miss
- Investigation continues into two-year murder case
- State investigates deputy-involved shooting
- State investigates Tishomingo County teacher termination
- Oktibbeha County investigators seek identities in credit card fraud case
- Family calls for AG to investigate A'Miya Braxton case
- UPDATE: Pontotoc investigators interviewing suspects in bodies found case
- Healthy Heroes Program increases health education across state