TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Crews have reopened a section of State Route 178 in Itawamba County as a bridge maintenance project moves closer to completion.
This section is between State Route 25 and Patton Flat Oakland Road.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation says traffic can flow freely along State Route 178 from Tremont west.
Construction is ongoing east of Tremont as crews replace a bridge at Johns Creek and construct a box culvert at a second crossing of Johns Creek.
The overall project included seven bridge replacements and reconstruction along the connecting highway. New bridges were built over Lick Skillet Creek, Gum Creek, Cypress Creek, Hickory Creek Bridge and Bull Mountain Creek.
At Johns Creek, a temporary detour bridge is in place while crews construct a new, permanent bridge. A second bridge over Johns Creek will be replaced with a box culvert, which is currently under construction.
The ongoing work should not require lane closures. However, motorists should still be aware of highway workers.
MDOT expects the project to be completed in early summer 2019.
- Section of State Route 178 opens in Itawamba County
- Itawamba County wreck turns fatal
- Drug arrests made in Itawamba County
- UPDATE: One dead in Itawamba County accident
- Duo charged with Itawamba County ATV theft
- Itawamba County burglaries could be related
- Itawamba Community College opens band hall/safe shelter
- Man wanted in Itawamba County domestic violence case
- Domestic dispute leads to shooting in Itawamba County
- MHP sign in Itawamba County remembers former trooper