NETTLETON, Miss. (WTVA) - A man was struck and killed by a train in Nettleton Sunday.
Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley says Lee County 911 received the call sometime near 11:45 a.m. about a person struck in Nettleton near the Shell gas station on the Monroe County side of town.
Gurley has identified the man who died as Marconi Mazariegos Perez, 32. The coroner says Perez was living with a friend on Tupelo Avenue in Nettleton but he is actually from Tacaná, San Marcos, Guatemala.
Nettleton Police Chief Gary Monaghan says the train's engineer saw that someone was standing on the track. However, the closer the train got, the engineer realized the person wasn't going to move.
"There was no way they (train) could stop," the police chief said.
Perez was killed instantly. Efforts are being made to reach his family in Guatemala.
- Person struck, killed by train in Nettleton
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in Starkville
- Pedestrian struck and killed near Pontotoc
- Report: Person hit, killed by train in Holly Springs
- Nettleton road closure scheduled for Wed. morning
- UPDATE: Nettleton teen arrested, charged following shooting
- Nettleton burglaries land man behind bars
- Sheriff: Man kills stepson at home near Nettleton in self defense
- Boil water alert lifted in the Nettleton area
- Nettleton man accused of false pretense in Amory