GREENWOOD, Miss. (WTVA) – Firefighters in the Mississippi Delta are still on the scene of a fire at a peanut storage facility.
Greenwood Fire Chief Marcus Banks says the blaze broke out around 7 a.m. on Friday.
The facility is located in the industrial park off Highway 82 in Leflore County.
Banks says a chemical reaction led to more than 25,000 bushels of peanuts to catch fire.
They are currently using foam to control the fire which has been contained to one area.
But the fire chief says the fire will not be completely out until this weekend.
- Peanut storage facility catches fire in Delta
- Shed catches fire in Tupelo
- Two arrested for mini-storage burglary
- 18-wheelers catch fire in West Point
- Coach's home catches fire after lightning strike
- Vehicle catches fire in Montgomery County
- Elvis' Graceland launches day tours to Tupelo and Mississippi Delta
- FDA: Ripley's Delta Pharma ordered to stop operations
- Sheriff: Father, child found dead in Delta tragedy
- Insitu opens high-tech facility in Starkville