LOWNDES COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A man is dead after an early morning shooting outside the Trotter Convention Center.
Columbus police were on the scene for about five hours. Coroner Greg Merchant says Cordell DeShaun Lewis, 27, was pronounced dead at Baptist Memorial Hospital Golden Triangle.
There has not been an arrest and there's no word on any suspects. An autopsy will likely be performed Monday because the state medical examiner's office is closed for the holiday.
This is the first civilian homicide of the year in the city limits of Columbus.
- UPDATE: Victim identified in fatal Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Victim identified in deputy-involved shooting
- UPDATE: Victims identified in Lowndes County fatal accident
- UPDATE: MHP identifies victim of fatal Monroe County crash
- UPDATE: Columbus police investigate shooting
- UPDATE:Columbus police release new details in fatal apartment shooting
- UPDATE: Pedestrian identified following fatal collision
- UPDATE: Man arrested, charged following Columbus shooting
- Mississippi Highway Patrol identifies victim of fatal crash
- City officials in Columbus discuss change after fatal downtown shooting