Man making homemade fireworks injured in explosion

MGN Online

A Columbus man was injured while trying to make homemade fireworks.

Posted: Mar. 5, 2018 12:04 PM

COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) -- A Columbus man suffered burns to his stomach Sunday night after a small explosion occured during the manufacture of "homemade" fireworks.

Scroll for more content...

Columbus police say the 27-year-old man was in the living room of the home when the accident occured around 7:30 p.m. Sunday on 12th Street North.

Investigators say the man was working with fireworks chemicals when some of the  material ignited.

Two people at the home drove the man to the hospital where he was treated and released.

Columbus firefighters and the Tupelo Police Department Bomb Squad responded to the scene and a small amount of fireworks chemicals were removed.

Police Chief Fred Shelton says there was never any danger to the public.

The case is still under investigation from the Columbus Police Department.

Related Content

Article Comments

Tupelo
Few Clouds
90° wxIcon
Hi: 92° Lo: 74°
Feels Like: 95°
Columbus
Few Clouds
91° wxIcon
Hi: 91° Lo: 72°
Feels Like: 100°
Oxford
Clear
88° wxIcon
Hi: 89° Lo: 72°
Feels Like: 91°
Starkville
Scattered Clouds
91° wxIcon
Hi: 91° Lo: 71°
Feels Like: 98°
WTVA Radar
WTVA Temperatures
WTVA Severe Weather