COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) –A wanted Columbus man has been arrested and charged with murder more than two weeks after a man was killed at a Motel 6.
Johnathan Lee Majors II was taken into custody late Tuesday and charged with murder. He was located by officers with the Lowndes County Sheriff’s Office, the Joint Drug Task Force, the Columbus Police Department and the U.S. Marshal’s Service.
He was inside an abandoned house where law officers believe he was sleeping for several days.
Police have been searching for him since Michael Garth was shot and killed at the Motel 6 in Columbus on Highway 45 near Highway 82.
“It’s always good to come clean and admit your guilt about anything," said Elbert Gunter, a Columbus resident. "It frees you, and that’s the main thing.”
An area Majors often frequented was his girlfriend's place at the newly developed Oak Apartments. Neighbors in the area shared that they knew of the shooting, but weren't aware of his arrest.
Gunter says he doesn't want to get accustomed to the violence.
“It’s always sad when young people kill each other, the resident commented. "We can’t get used to it, because every time we look up, there it is.”
On Wednesday, his bond was denied. He is being housed in the Lowndes County jail.
- UPDATE: Bond denied for Motel 6 shooting suspect
- UPDATE: Bond denied for Tishomingo County shooting suspect
- UPDATE: Bond set for Verona shooting suspect
- UPDATE: Bond set for Vardaman shooting suspect
- UPDATE: Bond denied for Alcorn County murder suspect
- UPDATE: Bond denied for Winston County capital murder suspect
- UPDATE: Bond set for suspect in West Point shooting
- UPDATE: Bond set for West Point shooting suspect
- UPDATE: Bond set at $1 million for Eupora shooting suspect
- UPDATE: Bond set for sexual assault suspect