Update 07/11/18 - Aberdeen police say McMillian's gun did fire a shot, but he claims he tossed the gun and it fired when it hit the ground.
See the original post below.
ABERDEEN, Miss. (WTVA) - A man is accused of firing shots at Aberdeen police, resulting in his arrest.
Kevin Lashawn McMillian surrendered himself to police this morning for the Saturday incident.
Interim Aberdeen Police Chief Quinell Shumpert says McMillian was stopped at a checkpoint on South Thayer Avenue on Saturday.
An officer noticed what looked like marijuana in the vehicle and ordered McMillian out of the car.
Officers conducted a pat down and found a 22 caliber handgun. The gun was put on the car's hood.
Shumpert says McMillian then grabbed the gun and ran away. The police chief says McMillian fired shots at an officer as he ran away.
No one was injured but McMillian was able to get away.
McMillian is now out on bond. It was set at $75,000.
- UPDATE: Aberdeen checkpoint leads to gunfire
- Checkpoint leads to drug arrest in Burnsville
- UPDATE: Aberdeen police investigating school threat
- Aberdeen alderman passes away
- Fatal shooting in Aberdeen
- Aberdeen shooting under investigation
- Police investigate Aberdeen shooting
- Aberdeen celebrates Memorial Day
- Report of gunfire leads to Corinth drug arrest
- Starkville police investigate Sunday gunfire