COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - The Mississippi University for Women has released new information about what happened prior to last week's carbon monoxide leak in a dorm that sent more than 30 to the hospital.
The university says an initial report of a gas smell in Kincannon Hall the day before was not properly handled.
"The next report was made early Tuesday morning, November 28," according to a statement released by MUW Tuesday, "and resulted in university police evacuating the building and notifying Columbus Fire and Rescue, who detected carbon monoxide in the building."
MUW placed carbon monoxide detectors in all residence halls following the leak. It is continuing to review what happened and what can be done to make improvements.
- MUW reveals more about what happened prior to carbon monoxide leak
- UPDATE: MUW students spend night off campus after carbon monoxide leak
- MUW reopens dorm that had carbon monoxide issue
- More MUW students treated for carbon monoxide exposure
- As temperatures cool fireplace experts say be cautious of Carbon Monoxide levels
- MUW hires women's soccer coach
- MSU, MUW closed Tuesday due to weather
- Columbus man accused of MUW robbery, burglaries
- Nora Miller named acting president of MUW
- MUW provost stepping down, replacement named