COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) – Law enforcement have a person-of-interest after a Mississippi University for Women employee was struck and robbed of personal items.
According to the university, the incident happened on Wednesday, December 13 near 8:40 p.m. on campus by Fant Hall.
MUW police immediately responded along with Columbus police and other emergency agencies.
According to reports, the suspect left the scene on foot in the direction of 15th Street and Washington Avenue.
The suspect was described as a six-foot black male wearing a gray sweatshirt with "Mustang Football" across the front.
At 8:48 p.m. the same night, Columbus police stopped a person matching the description at 19th Street and Bell Avenue.
While interviewing the suspect, he fled and dropped personal items belonging to the victim.
A witness reported seeing the suspect exiting campus at 15th Street. A search off campus was conducted by campus police, Columbus police and its K-9 unit.
The investigation is ongoing.
- UPDATE: Police search for person of interest in MUW robbery
- UPDATE: Police search for person of interest in motel homicide
- Columbus man accused of MUW robbery, burglaries
- Update: Person of interest in baby's kidnapping released without charge
- Police search for man following armed robbery
- MUW hires women's soccer coach
- UPDATE: No charges filed against MUW assault suspect
- UPDATE: Campus alert issued for domestic violence suspect at MUW
- UPDATE: Person of interest in custody, no charges yet in missing man's death
- MSU, MUW closed Tuesday due to weather