Scroll for more content...
The board voted 3-2 Monday morning not to renew the contract of Philip Hickman.
The vote came after motions to extend his contract by two years and three years failed to pass.
Board President Jason Spears says the decision was made in part because of the district's performance on state tests.
He says the board made a decision it felt would improve student achievement in the future.
Hickman took the job in 2014 and will remain on the job until his contract expires on June 30.
Spears says the first step is to identify a firm to assist the district with the search.
- Columbus superintendent Hickman fired
- Hickman out as superintendent of Columbus schools
- Columbus close to hiring new school superintendent
- UPDATE: List narrows for Columbus school superintendent
- Final candidates announced for Columbus school superintendent position
- Report: Columbus school board votes to use firm to find next superintendent
- Possible retirement for Calhoun Co. school superintendent
- Superintendent: Alabama school agency eliminated deficit
- Rob Picou named new TPSD school superintendent
- Police investigate Columbus High School vandalism