The former trooper is identified as Louis Zemek.
The crash happened on March 8 in Chickasaw County. The crash involved a passenger car and an MHP-issued SUV.
According to court documents, Zemek "did unlawfully and feloniously, without malice, but with culpable negligence, kill and slay one Shirley Harris, a human being, by operating his motor vehicle in a careless and reckless manner, causing his vehicle to collide with a vehicle driven by Shirley Harris."
Harris, 72, died because of the wreck. The crash also injured 72-year-old Ruth Clifford. She was Harris' passenger.
Zemek has been charged with one count of aggravated assault and one count of manslaughter.
He is out on a $20,000 bond.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol confirms Zemek is no longer employed by MHP.
- Former MHP trooper indicted following fatal wreck
- MHP: Troopers busy during winter weather
- MHP: No injuries in Tishomingo County wreck
- MHP begins campaign to reduce fatalities
- UPDATE: Troopers ID victim of fatal Lafayette County wreck
- MHP sign in Itawamba County remembers former trooper
- MHP responds to serious wreck in Prentiss County
- MHP: Two teens die in Lee County wreck
- AL troopers identify motorcyclist killed in wreck
- Troopers respond to Oktibbeha County wreck