OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - New information comes out about a former coach at Kossuth Middle School now that he is charged with a federal crime after being accused of secretly recording girls in a locker room changing clothes.
Micah Wilbanks is charged with the sexual exploitation of children, and a federal affidavit explains why he is charged with that crime.
According to the affidavit, it was on May 2 that some girls found an iPhone that had recorded them changing clothes, deleted the video and took it to another coach, Angie Malone.
It goes on to say that Malone then confronted Wilbanks, who showed her where he had hidden the phone.
Principal Sam Roberts told officers he confronted Wilbanks about 15 minutes later and noticed the coach had trouble walking and had slurred speech.
"Principal Roberts says once Wilbanks was in the principal's office, Wilbanks stated he had messed up and didn't deserve to be in public education," according to the document. That is when the principal called the Alcorn County Sheriff's Department.
The affidavit goes on to say that deputies overheard Wilbanks using an expletive to describe himself and made a comment about being a "pedophile."
Deputies arrested the coach for public intoxication and added they found what appeared to be crystal methamphetamine in a pocket on his pants. That led to him being booked on a drug charge in addition to the intoxication charge.
Shortly after the arrest, the schoo district fired Wilbanks.
Two days later, the FBI tried to get videos off of the phone at the request of the sheriff's department.
The affidavit says three videos were recovered from the smartphone:
- One showed Wilbanks in a storage room on the backside of a locker room wall.
- One showed a limited view of the locker room with no girls present.
- One showed five girls in the locker room with one removing her shorts, a second seeing the phone before pointing it out and a third grabbing the phone.
Using something shipped across state lines or between countries to make such a video makes it a federal crime.
A preliminary hearing was held for Wilbanks Monday in federal court in Oxford. That hearing will resume Thursday.
- Former Kossuth coach now charged with federal sex crime
- Federal indictment handed down against Kossuth coach
- Kossuth coach arrested at school
- UPDATE: Kossuth coach accused of secretly filming female students
- Man charged with sex crimes in Verona
- Former Starkville teacher charged with child sex crimes
- Bond set for Grenada man charged with 45 sex crimes
- Court appearance for man charged with sex crimes against child
- Starkville police charge 18-year-old with sex crimes
- Aberdeen man arrested for sex crimes