FULTON, Miss. (WTVA) - A suspect is recovering in the hospital after a deputy-involved chase that led to a shooting.
The incident first began in Itawamba County around 8:30 p.m. Sunday at 1090 Murphy Road.
Itawamba County Chief Deputy Jimmy Sartin said the suspect, Daniel Clouse, who was driving a black jeep, began making donuts in a homeowner's yard.
This is after a woman got out of Clouse's jeep.
The homeowner fired at the jeep, striking the tires.
"From our understanding he went into another yard where the homeowner fired some shots at the vehicle," said Sheriff Chris Dickinson.
Clouse sped away.
A deputy, responding to a call of reckless driving, began to chase the jeep into Lee County.
About 8:45 p.m., another deputy with Itawamba County was waiting for the suspect at the intersection of County Road 1400 and Highway 371.
Clouse hit that deputy's car.
Sartin said the suspect then got out of his car and approached the deputy before the deputy fired at the suspect.
"I can't answer why the suspect got out of his vehicle and charged the deputy," said the sheriff. "In any event, the deputy took care of himself and discharged his firearm."
Clouse was wounded and taken to the hospital. We know he underwent surgery. We are waiting for word on his condition.
The deputy was also taken to the hospital but was treated and released Sunday night.
The name of the deputy has not been released.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol is assisting in the investigation of the accident.
The Lee County Sheriff's Department will now head this investigation since the chase ended in Lee County.
- Suspect in hospital after deputy-involved chase, shooting
- UPDATE: Suspect in deputy-involved chase was in stolen Jeep
- Mother speaks on son in deputy-involved chase, shooting
- State investigates deputy-involved shooting
- Investigation underway following deputy-involved shooting
- UPDATE: Victim identified in deputy-involved shooting
- Deputy-involved shooting in Tishomingo County
- More details emerge in charge, deputy-involved shooting
- Chase involving law enforcement ends with arrest
- UPDATE: Suspect ID'd in Tupelo chase