FULTON, Miss. (WTVA) - A baby is in the hospital and a man is accused of shaking the infant in Itawamba County.
According to the Itawamba County Sheriff's Department, the man is identified as Dennis Spencer, Jr., 26. He's charged aggravated child abuse.
He's accused of shaking an eight-month-old baby girl.
Itawamba County Sheriff Chris Dickinson reports Spencer admitted to shaking the baby early Monday morning because she was fussy while he was trying to watch a TV show.
The alleged incident happened at a residence off of Highway 371.
Dickinson says the call originally came in for a choking baby. However, he says doctors quickly realized this was something different.
The sheriff says the baby belongs to Spencer's girlfriend. She was reportedly not home when the alleged incident happened.
The girl is at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis in critical condition. The sheriff describes the child's condition as "touch and go."
Spencer appeared in court today where his bond was set at $500,000.
He is still in the county jail waiting for his case to be presented to the next grand jury.
- Baby being treated in hospital, man accused of shaking her
- UPDATE: Infant girl still in hospital, man accused of shaking her
- Steak 'N Shake making plans to come to Tupelo
- Girl treated after boating accident in Aberdeen
- More MUW students treated for carbon monoxide exposure
- Person treated for smoke inhalation following trailer fire
- Starkville woman indicted after being accused of killing own newborn baby
- Court documents reveal new details about Starkville woman accused of killing newborn baby
- UPDATE: Neighbors speak on suspect accused of stealing SUV with baby inside
- Tupelo man accused of hitting multiple vehicles