IUKA, Miss. (WTVA) - A seventh person has now been sentenced for removing artifacts from an Indian burial mount in Tishomingo County.
Samuel Lee Howell, 49, of Booneville, will serve five years’ probation after pleading guilty to the charge earlier this year.
He must also pay more than $25,000 in restitution to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
The federal charges say Howell and seven others removed artifacts from the Doskie Mound without a permit.
- Another person sentenced for removing artifacts from burial mound
- Two more sentenced for indian burial mound desecration
- Man sentenced for stealing Indian artifacts
- Memphis' request to remove Confederate statue denied
- Confederate statues being removed from Memphis parks
- Clay County man loses attempt to remove habitual offender status
- Deputy credited with removing jar from dog's head
- Some people to be removed from Mississippi sex offender list
- One person dead following Lee County wreck
- Another person charged in stabbing case