Photo Gallery 3 Images
OKOLONA, Miss. (WTVA) - A tip from a neighbor leads to several animals, including ponies, being seized from a home in Okolona.
The scene is at a home off Corona Street.
Two ponies were living in the area for quite some time.
Local law enforcement and animal control officers found poor living conditions, a small beat-up shelter, mud, no clean water or a proper grazing area.
Officers say the owner of the property has been cited for animal cruelty and housing livestock in the city limits. Officials are placing the horses under the "livestock" ordinance.
The horses were removed and will be taken to a horse ranch in Monroe County this week.
Animal control officers say the horses appear to be in decent health, but they will be evaluated.
Chickens were also removed from the area. Officials have to come back and get the rest.
Dogs were found in poor shelter, and police say if the scene is not better by tomorrow, they will seize the dogs as well.
- Animals seized from poor scene in Okolona
- Okolona bridge still under construction
- Okolona Electric issues warning about phone scam
- Ousted Okolona police chief to appeal ruling
- UPDATE: Okolona shooting victim listed as stable
- Okolona shooting marks third since Thanksgiving
- Okolona has a new town marshal
- Delayed start Friday for Okolona schools
- Man turns himself in after Okolona shooting
- Rat infestation dealt with at Okolona school