TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Less than 24 hours before her death, the mother of Tupelo High School basketball player Tahj Crump shared a heartfelt post.
It said in part, "I am beyond grateful for this opportunity of quality time with our son Tahj."
Erica Walls shared the post while visiting Milsaps College in Jackson Saturday, a potential college choice of Tahj's.
Mother and son were involved in a highway accident Sunday morning on Highway 82 just east of Kilmichael.
Montgomery County Coroner Allen Pratt said their car ran off the road and overturned. Walls was the passenger and had to be removed from the car using the jaws of life.
"She's wonderful and very supportive of Tahj and all the work he's done here at Tupelo High School," said Art Dobbs, the principal of Tupelo High School.
Dobbs told WTVA Tahj is a perfect example of a student-athlete.
"He's a hard worker in the classroom and a hard worker on the basketball court," added Dobbs. "He's just an overall great student."
Crump suffered one punctured lung, another bruised lung and a fractured elbow. He underwent surgery earlier Sunday and is now recovering.
A GoFundMe.com account has been set up for Crump's family.
A prayer vigil will be held Thursday at 7 p.m. at The Orchard in Tupelo.
- Mom of Tupelo High School athlete remembered as a supportive parent
- Tupelo cookout supports Autism Center
- Building evacuated at Tupelo High School
- Student artwork supports Tupelo-Lee Humane Society
- Former Tupelo High School student honored with park bench
- New tornado shelter coming to Tupelo High School
- Vigil honors mother of Tupelo High School basketball player
- Ole Miss student rallies support for Florida high school
- Mom of Tupelo basketball player laid to rest in Amory
- Tupelo athlete selected to compete in Special Olympics USA Games