HOUSTON, Miss. (WTVA) - A corrections officer in Chickasaw County is recovering after being attacked Saturday night by an inmate.
51-year-old Larry Jones of Houlka was arrested Saturday for simple assault according to Chickasaw County Sheriff Jim Meyers.
During a night check, Jones complained to a female officer that he was having trouble breathing.
She unlocked the door and he attacked.
"He rushed out and attacked her. He struck her around the face area several times knocking her to the floor. Her training kicked in. She did an exceptional job keeping him away from getting on top of her. He struck her three or four more times while standing on top of her. She finally got free and ran out and locked the door," Meyers said.
The officer was taken to the emergency room but is recovering and will be back at work on Wednesday.
Jones is now also charged with aggravated assault on a corrections officer.
- Chickasaw County corrections officer attacked by inmate
- Chickasaw Drug arrests
- Collision injures one in Chickasaw County
- Drug-related arrests made in Chickasaw County
- UPDATE: Arrest made for Chickasaw County stabbing
- Burglary arrest made in Chickasaw County
- New K9 Naygood to help Chickasaw County
- UPDATE: Search on for Chickasaw County shooter
- Former corrections officer pleads guilty to having sex with an inmate
- Alcorn County correctional officer accused of introducing contraband