PONTOTOC COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) – The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is currently investigating a crash in Pontotoc County where someone appears to have been shot.
According to Pontotoc County EMA Director Ricky Jaggers, a call came into 911 of a car that had wrecked on Highway 278 west of Highway 15 sometime near 1:45 a.m. Tuesday.
When law enforcement arrived on the scene, they discovered that someone had been shot.
“As I got closer noticed a red Honda SUV was out in the bean field and all the doors were open on it," said Cory Scribner, who passed by the area later Tuesday morning. "MBI, they were marking what seemed to be shell casings on the side of the highway.”
Authorities say the victim was airlifted to a Jackson hospital. The current condition of the person is unknown.
"Whatever it could have been, it looked like it could have been a scary incident for whoever was involved, driving the vehicle," said Scribner.
Scribner says the vehicle was found in the middle of a field, which is located west of Roky Ford Road.
Residents say they will remain cautious.
“Well as I’m headed home I’ll lock my doors not knowing what happened to this person," commented Karen Baker, who lives nearby.”
This is a developing story. Stay with WTVA 9 News as more information becomes available.
- MBI investigating Pontotoc County crash
- UPDATE: Pontotoc County deaths investigated as homicide
- Injury reported in Pontotoc County crash
- Two killed in Pontotoc County crash
- One Dead In Overnight Pontotoc County Crash
- UPDATE: MBI on scene following Clay County standoff
- Fire destroys Pontotoc County home
- UPDATE: Victim ID from fatal Pontotoc County crash
- UPDATE: MBI cancels silver alert; Jackson man found safe
- UPDATE: MBI cancels missing child alert for boys