STEENS, Miss. (WTVA) – A family of three has lost everything but the clothes on their backs in an overnight fire and a firefighter is recovering.
District 1 and 3 volunteer firefighters responded to the fire just before 3:30 a.m. Baron McKee, a Columbus firefighter who also lives in the Steens area, responded and was injured while trying to put out the flames.
Lowndes County Fire Coordinator Neal Austin says McKee was taken to the burn center in Jackson for treatment.
The man who lives at the home at 21 Sycamore Lane says early Tuesday morning his wife woke him up saying the home is on fire. The fire started in a small building just behind the house and it quickly spread to the home. He said there was a space heater but it wasn’t turned up high and had plenty of space around it so he can’t understand how the fire started.
CJ’s Pizza in Columbus is accepting donations for the family.
- Firefighter injured responding to Lowndes County house fire
- No injuries in Lowndes County house fire
- Firefighters respond to unoccupied house fire
- Husband injured, woman charged in Lowndes County
- Lowndes County, Columbus respond to possible school threat
- Firefighters battle Lee County house fire
- Firefighter back at work after being injured at house fire
- Firefighters respond to gin fire in Hamilton
- Firefighters respond to fire south of Aberdeen
- UPDATE: Family identifies grandmother injured in Lowndes County shooting