OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) – A lifelong Rebel has given back to Ole Miss to provide opportunities for incoming freshmen.
Ole Miss Alumnus Buddy Shaw recently presented a gift of $110,000 to establish a scholarship at the university.
The Norman E. Shaw Scholarship Endowment is available to full-time entering freshmen from Mississippi, selected on the combination of high merit and financial need.
The university says he is a giver of time, possessions, money and talents, but also a giver of memories.
“Buddy Shaw is responsible for the wonderful life I’ve had,” said Betty Dunn of Nashville, Tennessee. “I met Buddy the first day I was on campus. I walked to the dormitory on move-in day, and he was there meeting all the girls. He said, ‘Betty, you sure are cute but I’ve already got a girl, so I want you to meet my roommate. I think you all are made for each other.’”
One blind date later and Dunn had met her future husband Winfield Dunn.
- Ole Miss alumnus creates scholarship to help incoming freshmen
- Ole Miss graduates receive Rural Physician Scholarships
- Ole Miss student wins top scholarship for public policy work
- Houston Nutt refiles lawsuit against Ole Miss
- Houston Nutt, Ole Miss reach settlement
- Former Ole Miss Rebel Justin Reed dies
- Ole Miss Engineering honors Tupelo native
- Ole Miss QB Shea Patterson to transfer
- National fraternity closes longstanding Ole Miss chapter
- Ole Miss, MSU receive early football signees