HAMILTON, Ala. (WTVA) – A man died Wednesday in an officer-involved shooting in west Alabama.
According to the Alabama State Bureau of Investigation, the incident happened at approximately 1:08 a.m. on Wednesday, December 13 in Marion County.
The Marion County Sheriff’s Department and the Hamilton Police Department responded to a house on Reese Road in Hamilton after the county dispatch received a request from a person for officers to perform a welfare check on a person possibly in distress at the house.
“At some point after the officers arrived at the residence, a confrontation with an armed subject occurred causing one of the officers to discharge his firearm,” said Captain Jonathan Winters.
Winters says the armed subject received a fatal injury and was pronounced dead at the scene by the Marion County coroner.
The man's name is not being released at this time. Family members said the victim is in his 70s.
Winters confirms the 911 call came from someone not at the residence, but did tell WTVA the caller wanted officers to check on a family member at the residence.
“It’s terrible especially around this time of year," commented Linda Ritch of Hamilton. "Christmas coming, that's the worst time. I mean anytime is bad, especially around Christmas. Not good.”
The resident added hearing of the news was a shock.
“This is about the third thing that’s happened in the last year or so, or two," Ritch said. "It’s scary.”
The caller was later located and placed in the care of a family member. Information concerning the caller was not released.
Family shares that the victim has four daughters and one son.
The State of Alabama is currently investigating the incident.
- Officer fatally shoots man in Marion County, AL
- Marion County officer-involved shooting under investigation
- UPDATE: Marion County, AL jail escapee captured
- Tire blowout leads to deadly wreck in Marion County, AL
- Body recovered following Marion County, AL house fire
- UPDATE: Video shows Marion County, AL jail escape
- Fatal accident in Franklin County, AL
- Marion County residents react to Alabama election
- NWS: Trees down in Marion County
- Fatal shooting in Aberdeen