Ann Curry is not a fan of Megyn Kelly's clapback at Jane Fonda.
The former "Today" show anchor was a guest on "The View" on Tuesday when talk during a panel discussion turned to Kelly's dust up with Fonda.
Curry appears on "The View"
She said journalists are supposed to be "humble"
The 80-year-old actress appeared on NBC's "Megyn Kelly Today" in September and said recently in an interview that she felt uncomfortable with Kelly's question her about plastic surgery.
Kelly fired back on her show Monday saying, "I have no regrets about that question, nor am I in the market for a lesson from Jane Fonda on what is and is not appropriate."
Kelly then brought up Fonda's controversial 1972 trip to North Vietnam, where she earned the nickname "Hanoi Jane."
"She put her plastic surgery out there, she said she wanted to discuss the plight of older women in America," Kelly said. "And honestly she has no business lecturing anyone on what qualifies as offensive."
"The View" co-host Meghan McCain, whose father John McCain is a United States Senator and former Vietnam prisoner of war, and fellow co-host Joy Behar, took umbrage with the linking of plastic surgery to the Vietnam War.
Curry chimed in after co-host Sunny Hostin pointed out how rare it is to see a journalist try to defend themselves as Kelly did.
"Journalists are not supposed to be the story," Curry said. "We're supposed to be humble. We're supposed to use what ever time we're given to shine a light on other stories."
"This is not journalism," she added.
Hostin asked Curry how she thought Kelly's comments might affect NBC, Curry's former employer, as Kelly's show is part of the "Today" brand.
Curry said it was really up to the viewers.
"I think there is a feeling, listening to some of this, not only are we living in a time ... but we are witnessing a certain amount of meanness," she said. "Meanness which we should not tolerate. We are better than this."
- Ann Curry on Megyn Kelly's Fonda remarks: 'This is not journalism'
- Megyn Kelly takes on Jane Fonda: 'I have no regrets about the question'
- Ann Curry 'not surprised' by allegations against Matt Lauer
- Ann Curry will be on CBS for interview about #MeToo, Matt Lauer
- Afghanistan: The slaughterhouse of journalism
- Jane Fonda celebrates 80th birthday with big bash in Atlanta
- Jane Fonda had cancerous growth removed from her lip
- 'Jane Fonda in Five Acts' emphasizes actress' off-screen life
- How Trump lost Ann Coulter
- Lawmakers condemn Trump's 'shithole' remark