The sequel to "Mamma Mia!" gives us the origin tale we've been needing.
At least that's what we gather from the trailer for "Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again," which debuted Thursday.
"Mamma Mia!" sequel to arrive in theaters next summer
Movie trailer debuts Thursday
Meryl Streep and Amanda Seyfried return as mother-daughter duo Donna and Sophie, but this time around Sophie is pregnant, and she learns the story of her mother's pregnancy.
Lily James plays the younger version of Donna, and the audience will learn how the "Dancing Queen" came to inhabit a Greek island.
There's also a little bit of Cher, who plays Sophie's grandmother.
"Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again" will dance into theaters in July.
- Trailer for 'Mamma Mia!' sequel is here
- 'Mamma Mia' sequel makes it well worth going again
- 'Pitch Perfect 3' and other sequels coming
- Tom Cruise teases 'Top Gun' sequel
- Miles Teller cast in 'Top Gun' sequel
- GOP Rep. Mia Love: Farenthold should resign
- 'Pacific Rim Uprising' sizes up pretty mechanical sequel
- Will 'The Incredibles 2' bring more power to animated sequels?
- POW and MIA in Iraq and Afghanistan Fast Facts
- Lindsay Lohan wants a big-screen 'Mean Girls' sequel even more than you