Search This Site
Search the Web
County By County
This Day In History
Affordable Care Act
Weather Authority Blogs
Indy Racing League
General Sports News
NBC On Demand
Kay Bain's Saturday Mornin'
Pet Of The Week
Meet The News Team
Terms Of Service
WTVA Inc. Internship Guidelines And Procedures
WTVA Inc. recognizes the need of the student for exposure to a real-life station environment as a supplement to their formal education.
II. An applicant for an internship shall:
A. Be a student enrolled in an accredited institution and majoring or specializing in a field related to the internship that's applied for.
B. Arrange the internship through the educational institution and the department head on a for-credit basis.
C. Be available for a minimum of twelve hours per week to participate in one of the internship programs.
III. General Guidelines
A. No intern or candidate for internship shall be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or any other basis which is prohibited by applicable Federal, State, or City Law. The Program shall seek and enable minorities and women to compete in the broadcast employment market on an equitable status.
B. All internships are unpaid positions. In order to assure compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act:
1. The internship shall be for the benefit of the student.
2. The internship, even though it may include the actual operation of some station equipment, shall be similar to the training that would be given at an educational institution.
3. Interns shall not displace regular employees, but will work under their close supervision.
4. The intern must attend an orientation session at the beginning of the internship.
5. The station shall derive no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern, and on occasion may actually be impeded.
6. An intern shall not be entitled to employment with WTVA Inc. at the conclusion of her/his internship period. An intern may, however, compete for employment openings at WTVA Inc. at the conclusion of her/his internship period.
7. An intern should understand in advance that she/he will not be entitled to wages for the time spent in an internship.
C. An intern is not an employee and therefore is not covered by the station's employee benefit plan or worker's compensation insurance.
D. The internship is intended as a learning experience. The duties of the intern should be clearly spelled out by the station department head.
E. Starting and ending dates shall be specified in advance for each internship. Internships are to last no longer than one quarter or one semester unless an extension is granted by the internship coordinator.
F. WTVA Inc. reserves the right to terminate any intern at any time for any cause.
G. Internships are available in the News, Operations, Sales, and Promotions departments of WTVA Inc.
H. Each intern shall sign and submit to WTVA Inc. at the start of the internship a letter of understanding of these guidelines.
A. Students should direct applications to the Internship Coordinator, Kizzy Guy.
B. An internship committee, to be comprised of the Internship Coordinator and the department heads, shall meet as necessary to review the performance of the program.
C. General responsibility for the program shall rest with the Internship Coordinator, including:
1. Determining, with input from participating department heads, the number of internships to be granted each quarter/semester.
2. Maintaining a current list and description of internships available.
3. Arranging the meetings of the Internship Committee.
4. Serving as the station's contact for students and schools.
5. Maintaining records and preparing periodic reports on the usage, accomplishments, and problems of the program.
D. Department heads shall keep the Internship Coordinator advised of all internship activity and plans within their departments.
This site is hosted and managed by
Mobile advertising for this site is available on
Local Ad Buy
Search This Site
Search the Web
Copyright 2014 WTVA Inc.
FCC Public Inspection File